Suppose a buyer and seller get into a sale and purchase of the property. For the sale deed, they must register it in India and pay stamp duty and registration charges.
Who collects Stamp duty and registration charges in India?
- As per the Indian Stamp Act 1899 the state government collects Stamp Duty and not the central government. It is different in different states. The state government uses it for building the state’s infrastructure.
- Stamp Duty varies with the type of housing and the state in which it is located, and it also varies with the gender of the buyer, and senior citizens get a rebate on registration charges.
Benefits of Stamp duty
- Registering a stamp duty makes the sale deed a proper legal document and makes it possible to submit the deed to the court as evidence. In case the document is lost, a duplicate copy can be produced. The buyer has to pay stamp duty at the time of registration.
- The buyer generally pays Stamp Duty
Stamp duty in Real Estate?
Stamp duty in Real estate is on Sale deed, Partition Deed, and Lease Deed. If a lease deed is more than 12 months, it must be registered and pay stamp duty, otherwise, generally, lease deeds are for 11 months. Therefore, which means the document of the property is verified by a notary declaring the authenticity of both parties signing the documents.
Delhi Stamp duty
- Delhi Stamp Duty charge has been going on since the year 1908, which is a retardation charge.
- Like in Delhi, stamp duty is 6% if a property is registered in a Male’s name, 4% if in a female’s name, and 5% if in joint name. This is in case the property value is less than 10 lakh rupees. But if it is more than 10 lakhs rupees, both males and females pay equal stamp duty.
- The Registration charge is 1% of the property value.
|Joint (Male& Female)||5%|
How to pay Stamp duty?
The 3 methods to pay a stamp duty are as follows:
Method 1 –
Non-Judicial stamp paper. If stamp duty is 1 lakh, buy papers worth Rs 1 lakh. You will print the sale deed on stamp paper.
Method 2 –
Franking method – Print the sale deed on plain paper. Pay stamp duty in a cheque, cash, online, or dd draft. Then bank attests to the sale deed.
Method 3 –
E-Stamping – it will mention all details – generated online – Go to Stock holding corporation of India – www.shcilestamp.com. This will be paid at authorized centers. Collect e-stamp then.