The demand for duplex house for sale in Bangalore has increased at a fast pace. The outbreak of the pandemic has made the average Indian citizen realize the value of owning a home, especially in major cities like Bangalore. People are increasingly choosing larger homes, like a duplex or 3 BHK apartment, to accommodate a specialized workspace within the living space. As work from home is becoming the new norm, people want a home that has dedicated space that can be used as a workspace without any hassle. As a result more and more home buyers, especially working professionals, intend to shift their decision to Duplex home.
Apart from apartments, Bangalore is also experiencing an increased interest of buyers in independent houses for investment purposes. As people turn towards more open spaces, especially due to the inability to go out at will, the demand for independent houses has also increased in the city. With the change in priorities, the trend towards duplex houses is likely to continue for a long time and for a significant portion of sales in Bangalore. Duplexes can be attractive because they cost more than a single-family home.
So, if you are looking for a duplex house for sale in Bangalore, read this article. We have discussed some tips, pros, and cons of buying a duplex home/apartment in Bangalore.
What is a Duplex House?
The duplex is a structure consisting of two separate family units. The two units share a common central wall but have separate entrance doors. Typically, a duplex home in Bangalore has a kitchen, a dining room, and two apartment blocks located side by side or on two floors with separate entrances. Although there are two floors, they are sold together and owned by the same person. A duplex house for sale in Bangalore usually has a kitchen, living room, and bedrooms on the lower floor, and a master bedroom on the upper floor.
The owner of a duplex house can rent out both or a single unit as well. It is mainly connected by an internal staircase. They are good investment opportunities and offer several advantages over apartments or villas. They provide a life experience similar to what you find in a home.
Different type of duplex home in Bangalore-
A duplex house can consist of apartment blocks designed side by side or on two floors. They are usually of 3 types and available in the following categories:
- Standard duplex:– This is a two-story house, where the first floor is connected to the second floor by a staircase. On the ground floor there is a living room and a kitchen, and on the upper floors there are bedrooms and children rooms.
- Low rise duplex:- This type has large balconies and a ceiling on the second floor. It is usually built in a smaller area compared to other types of duplex houses.
- Low or Ground duplex:- These are houses built on the ground floors of the apartments, where the lower floors have a garden and contain bedrooms. The upper floor consists of a living room and a kitchen. This type of house is ideal for homeowners who prefer gardens.
Some best localities to buy a duplex home in Bangalore!
Bangalore has always been an attractive destination for both home buyers and developers. With lucrative options and bespoke budgets, the city is also one of the most popular cities for duplex homes. Some of the best localities to buy a duplex house in Bangalore are:
Jp Nagar Phase 8
Tips before you consider a Duplex house for sale in Bangalore-
Cost of the House- Generally Duplexes cost more than single-family homes. Hence, you not only have to pay a higher percentage for the down payment, but the overall cost itself will be higher. So ensure you have enough capital to pay for this extra cost. So if you are planning to buy or rent a duplex house with many rooms, it will be very expensive.
Size or Layout- The number of bedrooms on each floor completely depends on the size of the house. If you buy a larger duplex, you get more rooms, and if you buy a smaller one, you get relatively fewer rooms. You can plan your duplex layout based on the number of rooms you need. Typically, a small two-story home has a living room, hall, and kitchen on the first floor and a bedroom on the second floor. The best thing is that you can customize the duplex to suit your needs and requirements.
Privacy- When you buy a duplex house and live on the same side (either down or up). Your tenants can come to you at any time with questions or concerns about your rental property. You can hear them through walls and they can potentially hear you. In simple words, a duplex house in Bangalore has less privacy.
Check Out:- Duplex house in Bangalore
Benefits of buying a Duplex House in Bangalore-
- Privacy/Confidentiality:- Everyone wants to live in a big house and more space and who doesn’t like a big space. A duplex house promises total comfort for its residents. The house plan has advanced features and large spaces that can include outdoor gardens.
- Rental income opportunity:- One of the houses in the duplex can be rented out easily. This is especially beneficial if you have purchased a property on credit or loan. Since the rent you receive can be used to pay off the loan. The duplex house has a good resale value and appreciates faster, since the two units are well equipped with separate rooms and entrances.
- Suitable for two families:- Duplex is a good option if you want to stay with your family, such as your grandparents. You can let your family or friends stay with you in one of the two units. Sometimes duplex house for sale in Bangalore are much more affordable compared to a single-family luxury home having same bedrooms and carpet area.
- Share facilities easily:- You probably do not have access to facilities that are common in residential complexes, such as a tennis court or swimming pool. However living in a duplex means you only have to share the amenities and common space with some peoples, and not a whole group of people.
- Office or work space:- With the trend of work from home, more and more home buyers are looking for a house which can provide them an additional space. For those buyers, duplex is a perfect option to consider. In a duplex house you have enough rooms which can used for your work or office space.
Disadvantages of buying a duplex home-
- Maintenance responsibility:- As the owner of 2 floors the owner has to check the maintenance and repair work. If duplexes are not managed professionally, they may not guarantee you enjoyment and comfort.
- Problem with tenants:- The relationship between landlord and tenant is delicate. If you share a property with another family, perhaps tenants, this can affect your privacy, which in some cases can cause controversy. This applies to any rental, be it a duplex or an apartment, it can be difficult to have an uninteresting neighbor. Understanding this will help you set expectations and hopefully help you avoid negative situations.
- Sharing can be an issue:- In case of duplex house for sale in Bangalore, you are likely to share your yard and other amenities with your neighbor. This can be a problem if your neighbor uses too much of these areas or does not respect your space. So, it is best to consider all of these aspects when renting a duplex.
Duplex houses are more common in areas where there is a significant area of land. Most Indian cities have made room for skyscrapers due to the limited availability of land. Southern cities, especially parts of Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Kerala have duplex houses. These houses are suitable for roommates and families living in the same house who need a home-like environment. Duplex home in Bangalore also sometimes more affordable than single-family homes. So, they can be a smart way to live in a good area for less money.