Construction workers are among the most vulnerable segments of the Indian labor force, with many working in the unorganized sector. Almost every state in India has established a Building & Other Construction Workers Welfare Board ad various welfare schemes for workers. This board is known as the Maharashtra Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board, or Mahabocw, in Maharashtra.
The Mahabocw board works to improve the quality of life for these workers by implementing a variety of programs. It also had an official website where employees could register with the Board, apply for welfare schemes, and access various facilities.
About Maharashtra Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board
The central government enacted the Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Condition of Service Act) of 1996 to regulate the employment and service conditions of building and other construction workers in India and to provide them with various safety, health, and welfare measures.
The Maharashtra government enacted the Maharashtra Building & Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Rules 2007 by the Act. Five government representatives set up the Maharashtra Building & Other Construction Workers Welfare Board.
The Mahabocw changed its makeup and established a tripartite board under notifications in 2011, 2015, and 2018. Three representatives from the government, owners, and labor sections join the chairman.
As of March 2019, the Board had 18, 75, 510 registrations and 20, 28, 903 beneficiaries.
The Supreme Court has chastised Maharashtra’s Slum Rehabilitation Authority for failing to register construction workers under a law designed to protect their rights.
Mahabocw’s eligibility requirements
To be eligible for Mahabocw online registration, a worker must meet the following requirements:
- The age range should be between 18 and 60.
- The employee must have worked for at least 90 days in the previous 12 months.
Mahabocw online registration: Documentation is required.
To register with the Mahabocw, fill out and submit Form-V and provide supporting documents such as:
- Identity verification
- Age verification
- Evidence of residency
- 90-day work permit
- Three passport-size photographs
The Maharashtra BOCW registration fees for workers in Maharashtra are minimal. There is also a Rs 25 registration fee and a Rs 60 annual subscription fee for the first five years. The subscription fee can be two ways, depending on the period:
- The charges for a 5-year subscription are Rs 60.
- A monthly subscription costs Rs 1 per month.
Online registration for Mahabocw
The Mahabocw online registration process is outlined in detail below.
Step 1: Navigate to the official website, https://mahabocw.in/. Under the “Workers” tab, select Worker Registration.
Step 2: Review the eligibility requirements and documents necessary for Mahabocw’s online registration.
Step 3: The registration form for Maharashtra construction workers will appear on the following page. Fill in your name, father’s name, Aadhaar number, date of birth, residential address, family details, bank details, employer details, and 90-day working certificate details.
Step 4: Online submission of supporting documents. The registration form is available to download from the Mahabocw online portal. All relevant ways for self-declaration, Aadhar consent, 90-day working certificate, and so on are available under the ‘Download’ tab on the portal.
Step 5: Select the Declaration checkbox. Then, click on ‘Save’.
You will receive an acknowledgment number, which you must keep for future reference. Then, bring the original documents to the nearest WFC office for verification to complete the process.
Mahabocw: Different types of welfare programs
The Maharashtra Construction Workers Welfare Board provides four welfare schemes to registered construction workers. The program offers social security, health care, education, and financial benefits for staff and their families.
Social Security benefits
- Rs 30,000 reimbursement for first marriage expenses
- Lunches in the middle of the day
- Pradhan Mantri Sharm Yogi Maan-Dhan scheme
- Rs 5,000 in financial assistance for the purchase of tools
- Jeevan Jyoti Vima Yojna of the Government of India
- Suraksha Vima Yojana of the Government of India
- Providing emergency supplies
- Providing first-aid kits.
Pregnant women are given financial assistance at the time of the delivery:
- Rs 15,000 for normal delivery
- Rs 20,000 for surgical delivery
- Numerous rupees will remain available to registered laborers or their family members suffering from critical illnesses.
- Financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh is available to employees with 75% or more disability.
- Jan Aarogya Yojana of Mahatma Jyotiba Phule
- Regular health examinations
- Urban Atal Bandkam Kamgar Yojana
- Rural Atal Bandkam Kamgar Yojana
- Financial assistance of Rs two lakh goes to the legal heir in the event of natural death.
- Financial assistance of Rs 5 lakhs goes to the legal heirs in the wake of an accident on the construction site.
- Rs 10,000 in funeral assistance.
- The widow/ widower of a registered laborer receives Rs 24,000 per year in financial assistance.
- A home loan of six lakhs or a grant of two lakhs.
- Every year, students in grades one through seven receive Rs 2500 in financial assistance.
- Financial assistance of Rs 5,000 per year is available to students in grades eight through ten.
- A grant of Rs 10,000 a year is available to deserving students in classes 11 and 12.
- Degree students receive Rs 20,000 in financial aid each year.
- Engineers earn Rs 60,000 per year on average.
- A medical degree costs one lakh rupees per year.
- A diploma course will cost you 20,000 rupees per year.
- A diploma course costs 25,000 per year.
- Course reimbursement for MISCT
Mahabocw provides online services.
The Mahabocw also offers the following services to its employees via its official website:
- Construction worker: Apply online for a claim
To receive Mahabocw benefits, employees must fill out and submit a claim form online. On the primary screen, select the ‘Construction Worker: Apply Online for Claim’ tab. On the next screen, choose the appropriate option from the dropdown – new claim or update claim. Fill in the registration number. Also, if applicable, include the acknowledgment number. Then, click on ‘Proceed to Form.’
Online construction worker renewal
This service lets employees renew their Maharashtra Building And Other Construction Workers Welfare Board worker registration. On the home page, click Construction Worker Online Renewal’ to apply for renewal. Provide the registration number to complete the OTP verification.
The BOCW renewal form will appear. Fill out the form with relevant information such as the contractor’s name, company name, mobile number, type of work, location details, employment details, etc.
Please upload the necessary documents. Select the self-declaration checkbox and then press the ‘Save’ button. Complete the next step by visiting the nearest WFC office.